Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Horseshoe Bottle Opener

Today I want to show some blacksmith art

Using the raw elements of air and fire the blacksmith translates the artistic idea from his mind to the steel,  forcing the steel to yield to the shape he desires, using only hammer and anvil

I had seen some blacksmiths making horse head bottle openers from steel bar, I made a few then though it might be more fun to make it from an actual horseshoe. I got some horseshoes and tried it. here is the result.


You can see the horse head motif on both sides, and the holes where the nails held the shoes to the horse. the bottle opening end is opposite the horse head.

Here is a closeup of the head. I particularly like this one because with the angle of the head and the angle of the mane imparts the feeling of movement.



See more blacksmithing items at Bent Iron Forge
See photography at Visual Perceptions by Lombano

No comments:

Post a Comment