Sunday, May 5, 2013

What can you do with a Lawnmower Blade

My riding mower blade broke and I had to get it repaired. The repairman left me the old blade, not being one to let things go to waste, I thought I would turn the blade into a couple of knives. Here is progress so far.

Here is the raw mower blade which has been cut in half across where the diagonal cut is. I had at this point also put the piece in the forge brought it to a temperature to anneal the metal to make it easier to work with.

here I have started to shape the blade, using some files and some grinders.

here is the blade near its final shape. After this step the blade was returned to the forge heated til it was non magnetic, then quenched in oil. After that it was cleaned tempered and then polished.

Final picture of blade and with ruler to show size. All that is left is to make the handle.


See blacksmithing work at Bent Iron Forge

See Photography work at Visual Perceptions by Lombano

No comments:

Post a Comment